Transfer Students

How to transfer

  • Speak with your advisor about your transfer plans. The sooner your advisor can work with you on your transfer plans and goals, the smoother the transfer process will be and allow you to get maximum transfer credit.
  • Identify and print the Baccalaureate Degree Program (BDP) for each program at each university you are considering. The BDP is the "contract" of the required courses for the program and will be used by you and your advisor to plan your courses at CCCC.
  • Review College Articulation Agreements. These outline the important policies around transferring your degree to our schools. This includes the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA), which lists your rights as a transfer student.
  • What are the steps for transferring to another institution? Review the process.
  • Request your CCCC transcripts
  • How can you finish your CCCC degree even if you transfer before completing it? Learn more about Reverse Transfer
  • Graduation application

Enhanced Transfer Partnerships for CCCC Students

Transfer FAQs

Are there advantages to completing my Associates degree before I transfer to another college or university?

Yes, your transfer institution will be more likely to give you transfer credit for all of your community college courses if you complete the entire degree.

What if I want to transfer before completing the Associate degree?

Research has shown that students who complete the associate degree are more likely to complete the bachelor's degree. Students who transfer before completing the Associate's degree are not covered under the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement and thus the transferability of some classes may be less certain. However, if you wish to transfer before completing your associate's degree, please communicate that to your advisor so he or she can help you select the classes that will get you the most transfer credit. You may also be eligible for reverse transfer, which will allow you to receive your associate's degree even after you transfer.

I am still trying to decide if I should opt for the Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, or Associate in Engineering. Where can I learn more about these options?

I am pursuing a career or technical degree (an Associate's in Applied Science (AAS) degree). Can I still transfer?

Yes, there are a number of transfer options for AAS degrees, please see your advisor or program chair for more information.

I am interested in transferring to a private or independent college or university. Is there an articulation agreement for this?

Yes, there is a similar articulation agreement (independent) with a specific list of private/independent colleges.

How does the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) help make my transfer to a North Carolina college or university easier?

The CAA enables community college graduates of two-year Associate in Arts and Associate in Science degree programs who are admitted to institutions in the UNC system to transfer with junior status. You can find more information on the NC Community Colleges Website.

What options do I have for scholarships when I transfer?

There are a lot of scholarship opportunities online.

Please visit the websites of universities you are considering for scholarships specific to those institutions.

Do not pay a service to find scholarships for which you are eligible. See your advisor if you need assistance locating scholarship options.

Will a grade of D transfer? Will it count for my degree at CCCC?

While a grade of D in a course will allow you to take the next course in the sequence (if there is one), a grade of D will not count for your CCCC AS, AA, or AE degree and it will not transfer to another university.

Will my GPA transfer to another institution?

No, your GPA is institution specific. You will have a "new" GPA when you start at a university. It is still important to do as well as possible at CCCC since many universities consider your GPA an important indicator of academic readiness. Additionally, some universities will use this to determine your eligibility for scholarships and honors programs.