Central Carolina Community College administers the NROC placement test. Only students who meet the following criteria are allowed to take the placement test -
- Graduated high school more than 10 years ago.
- Completed GED or High School Equivalency without GED Mastery
- Graduated from high school outside of the United States
Students that don't meet any of the criteria listed will be placed into the gateway English and Math Course for their chosen Academic Program, the gateway English and Math course with a co-requisite course, or a Math and English Transition Course.
Students are also able to place into the gateway English and Math by submitting other test scores.
- Submitting satisfactory SAT, ACT, or NCDAP scores. These test scores must be sent officially from the testing service. Minimum acceptable scores are listed below.
SAT Math – 530
SAT Reading & Writing – 480
ACT Math – 22
ACT English – 18
ACT Reading – 22
NCDAP English Composite – 151
NCDAP Math DMA-010-060 – 7
- Submitting official college transcripts documenting the appropriate English and Math courses that permit exemption. Transcripts are official when our College receives them in a sealed envelope from the institution where the credit was earned.
Scheduling a Placement Test
Students are able to schedule a placement test by visiting any one of our three main campuses or calling the testing center.
- Lee Main Campus
- (919) 718-7300
- Bell Welcome Center (Building #8)
- Harnett Main Campus
- (919) 814-8863
- Student Services Suite Room #143 Miriello Building (Building #33)
- Chatham Main Campus
- (919) 545-8029
- Academic Assistance Center (Building #2)
If scheduling a 4 p.m. testing time, you are only able to test in one subject.
Students needing accommodations should contact Megan Sherman, (919) 718-7416 or email@example.com, and complete the process for developing an accommodation plan prior to testing. Once an accommodation plan is in place, please call to schedule your testing
Have you been approved to test? If so, create a username and password at our testing website in preparation for your test
- You should arrive 15 minutes before the start of testing. If you arrive late, you will need to reschedule.
- A photo ID must be presented prior to testing.
- No food, drink, gum, or cough drops may be brought in the testing room.
- Pencils and scrap paper will be provided.
- Calculators will be provided for Math Placement Test.
- No portion of the test is timed. However, each section should take around one hour.
- All questions are multiple choice.
- Students are allowed to take the test two test total as a student at CCCC.
- Placement scores are transferable to other colleges with permission of the student.
Students needing accommodations should contact Megan Sherman at (919)718-7416 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Complete the process for developing an accommodation plan prior to testing. Once an accommodation plan is in place, please call to schedule your testing.
Preparing for your Placement Test: Study Topics
RISE Placement Test Study Guide
English Tier 1
- Identifying main ideas
- Discerning implied meaning
- Interpreting bias
- Analysis through definition
- Learning across discipline
English Tier 2
- Exploring comparative elements
- Informed opinions though causal chains
- Applied critical analysis
- Using sources in critical reading and writing
Math Tier 1
- Whole Numbers
- Fractions and mixed numbers
- Ratio, rates and proportions
- Real numbers
Math Tier 2
- Concepts in statistics
- Solving equations and inequalities
- Exponents and polynomials
Math Tier 3
- Systems of equations and inequalities
- Rational expressions
- Radical expressions and quadratic equations
Placement Test Scores Release Form
Complete the form below and submit the Admissions Office at email@example.com or at the Admissions Office on any one of our three main campuses.
- Chatham Main Campus - (919) 545-8029
- Harnett Main Campus - (910) 814-8863
- Lee Main Campus - (919) 718-7300
Frequently Asked Questions
- What placement test does Central Carolina Community College administer?
- CCCC administers the NROC placement test, a customized test for the North Carolina Community College System. The NROC placement test is a computerized test.
- Do accept scores from other tests?
- Yes, we accept the SAT, ACT, NCDAP, or Accuplacer scores. The test scores must be sent officially from the testing service. Your Admissions Specialist will review the scores with you to determine if they meet the benchmark scores for the English and/or Math for your academic program.
- How much does it cost to take the placement test?
- We do not charge a fee to take our placement test or to retest.
- Can I take the placement test at your college if I'm not a student?
- No, we only administer the NCDAP to our students.
- In what areas will I be tested?
- The NROC placement test consists of an English section and a Math section. All questions are multiple choice.
- How much time will I need to allot to take the placement test?
- The NROC placemen test is untimed. However, each section could take around 1 hour to complete.
- Where can I take the placement test?
- We administer the NROC test by appointment on all three campuses.
- Lee Main Campus: Please contact (919) 718-7300 to schedule a testing appointment.
- Chatham Main Campus: Please contact (919) 545-8029 to schedule a testing appointment.
- Harnett Main Campus: Please contact (910) 814-8863 to schedule a testing appointment.
- What items do I need to bring to take the test?
- The test is taken on a computer so you will not need any pencils or paper. You are required to bring a picture ID in order to test. Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled test time.
- Can I use a calculator on the placement test?
- Yes. We will provide a calculator for the math portion of the placement test.
- What score do I need to achieve on the placement test?
- You will need to make a score of 75 on each section in order to move onto additional sections of the test.
- When will I receive the results of the placement test?
- Scores are calculated upon completion of the placement test. You will receive your results immediately after taking the test.
- Can I take the placement test more than once?
- Yes. Students are permitted to take the placement test twice while a student at CCCC.
- Do my test scores expire?
- Your test scores will expire in ten years per the testing policy. Please note that other colleges may have a different policy on acceptable length of time for testing scores.
- How do I request my placement test scores to be sent to another institution?
- You will need to complete the Placement Test Scores Release Form on the placement testing website. The signed form can be mailed, faxed, or emailed to the college. Please allow 2 business days for your request to be processed.
- What should I do if I have a disability that requires special arrangements for test taking?
- Please contact the Coordinator of Student Accessibility Services at (919) 718-7416 to identify with the Office of Student Accessibility Services. Once you are identified and have provided the appropriate documentation of your disability, we can provide you accommodations on the NROC placement test.
- Can I bring children to campus while I am taking the placement test?
- Children are not permitted to be on campus or in the testing room while you take the placement test. Please make the appropriate arrangements for your children prior to your testing day.